Photography Unit: Selfie vs Self Portrait

Photography Unit: Selfie vs Self Portrait
In this photography unit the students set out to take one self portrait and eight selfies. We also had to research a style of self portraits in order to find out which we liked the best. I personally liked the style where the sides are cropped heavily and the photo is mostly abstract. I've also found that a lot of these self portraits had heavy shadows, which sadly I could not incorporate due to the iPhone 8 not taking good photos in the dark. I liked the idea of highlighting my self portrait by placing it in the middle and having the selfies on the side. I tried to have the selfies that interacted with other objects on the left while having more "standard" selfies on the right.

I feel that my self portrayed conveyed a message of hope. I tried to display this message by looking up and away from the camera. I also tried to make my face very bland showing that it is neither happy or sad. I also chose not to put any of these photos in negative because I felt that my black sweater and other elements provided a nice contrast without making everything else black. I have also attached the picture that inspired be below, as I felt that it could. both be clarified as a selfie and self portrait.
Famous Photographs Turned Into Arm's-Length Self-Portraits

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Photography Motion: IB Dancers

Photography Unit: Forced Perspective